PEACE BEGINS WITH A SMILE...

"Do all the good you can, By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can, In all the places you can,
At all the times you can, To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can." -John Wesley

Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve never goes as planned for me (most holidays don't). I always have this wonderful evening all planned in my head. Sort of like a story book plan, I guess. One of these years, I will learn just to let things happen as they may and not be so uptight about it.

This was the plan - Christmas Eve service at church, come home and eat around the table. Have our traditional Birthday Party for Jesus, light the fireplace, read the Christmas story out of the Bible, drink hot chocolate and get lost in a great Christmas movie until the kids fall asleep. Then Santa would come, Kendall and I would get some rest and wake up to joyous faces on Christmas morning!!! Who doesn't want that??

Well, here's how it played out. After our day at the mall, I went to the grocery store. Then we headed to church for a beautiful candlelight service. Jeanine called and invited us to Anamia's for dinner and Kendall quickly agreed (so much for dinner at home - not to mention I could have napped instead of running to the store after our tiring day at the mall!) So, we didn't get home until 8:30 and the kids still had to have a bath. Luckily I bought cupcakes at the store and didn't have to make any so we proceeded with singing Happy Birthday to Jesus, blew out the candles and enjoyed our cupcakes. Jessie rubbed chocolate icing all over the kitchen chairs - nice! Kendall sat soaking his recently severed foot in vinegar and water - that smell does not remind you of Christmas! It was too hot to light the fireplace and no one in my family will drink a hot beverage except me. So, no fireplace, no hot chocolate. We curled up to watch "Fred Claus" which was really cute and funny. By this time we are approaching 11p.m. The kids put out the cookies and milk and headed up to bed. I started taking out all of the gifts that needed to be wrapped. I heard Grayson crying a couple of times because he said he couldn't sleep and was afraid Santa wasn't going to come if he didn't go to sleep. I knew he was just excited so I let it go and proceeded with 'Santa duties'. Before I knew it, Grayson was standing behind me, overlooking my shoulder with tears, the room covered in Santa gifts!! I reacted immediately, spun him around and almost literally threw him in my bed! There you have it - BUSTED! I just knew it was over for my 7 year old. I asked him what he saw in the room and said only the black box with a red bow (Kendall's gift). I told him I was sad because I thought he may have seen what Kendall and I were giving him for Christmas and I didn't want his surprise to be ruined. It was a quick lie and the only thing I could come up with. I left the bedroom and had a breakdown to Kendall because I just think 7 is too young to not believe in Santa! I finally calmed down, sent Kendall to lay down with Grayson to make sure he didn't wake up again and finished everything. I got in bed around 2a.m. Before I knew it, both kids were in our bed and we all slept until 8:45 Christmas morning!

Happy Birthday Jesus!
Poor baby soaking his foot!
Mmmm, Santa will like this.

1 comment:

ericcates80 said...

Are you sure that Grayson doesn't read your blog?!