PEACE BEGINS WITH A SMILE...

"Do all the good you can, By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can, In all the places you can,
At all the times you can, To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can." -John Wesley

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Moving in to February...


Okay, so I haven't been as good as most when it comes to updating my blog. Let's face it, we're busy people. So, I thought I would take this opportunity to wrap up January and move in to February since it is the 9th day of the month.


On January 26 Grayson's Cub Scout Pack held a Pinewood Derby. For those of you who don't know what that is, let me explain. About a month prior to the derby, we were given a small block of wood, 4 nails and 4 plastic tires and were told to make a car. The idea is to be creative and have fun building this car that would race against the other scouts. There are secrets to weighting the car properly (it can only weigh 5 ounces) and greasing the wheels to make it go faster. Of course, we didn't know most of these secrets since it was our first race. Although we had a month to complete this project, we didn't even start until the Tuesday before when we had to run it on the test track. I actually pulled Grayson out of school at noon that day so that we could work on it! Grayson was very excited because on the test runs, his car came in second place. He just knew he was going to win at the real race. I tried to explain that it is all about having fun, not winning. Yea, right. If you know me, you know I don't really feel that way. But I need to teach my children to be a better sport than me.
Well, we didn't win the race, not even one heat of 48. Grayson had a blast, though. At the end of the race he said, "Mom, it's okay if I don't win 'cause this was awesome! I had fun." What a good boy. So, we sat patiently for them to announce winners. Grayson crawled up in my lap so he could have a good view of his friends getting their awards. When they called Grayson's name as the winner of the Craftsman award, I literally threw him out of my lap in excitement!!!! I couldn't believe it. We came in first in how the car was designed, painted, decorated. I mean, come on, we didn't win but we looked good! The smile on his face was priceless. Now, we have set a precedent. Kendall and Grayson came in 3rd in the father/son cake bake and now to win at the derby was unbelievable. So, whatever the next scouting comptetion is, watch out, I'm sure the Huff's will take home a title - Huff for a Day!!!

No comments: